Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Palace of illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Gifted to my by Ridhi on my 24th birthday last year, Palace of illusions is a novel based on Mahabharat, Draupadi's version. Sort of historical fiction, actually more like mythological fiction or novelised mythology. It's well written and told me a lot about Mahabharat, I knew it in bits and pieces but not the whole thing, so that was nice.
One thing I really liked was that Divakaruni doesn't dwell too much on the biggest and most famous parts, so there's no feeling of being repetitive and boring. The book starts of very well. Interesting and refreshing & for me very informative on mythology. This book actually started my trend of reading mythology. Draupadi comes across as a strong character. This I feel largely stems from the fact that she is not portrayed as a super sweet, beautiful, self-sacrificing and obedient woman. That alone makes her  interesting and real. She has definite choices, likes and dislikes, anger and love. Makes Draupadi a character we can relate to. One of us, just set in ancient times.
I think Divakaruni had a very good plot to begin with, her descriptions and her narrative style is very good. It's hard to tell such a famous story in a new way. A way which makes it more compelling for women. Who ever thought of Mahabharat from Draupadi's perspective, she was always a side character who makes the story go forward. Just a tool, not someone you think about too much. But this book changes that, you actually see her emotions, she is human.
Now that I have praised book enough , I have to say that this book doesn't go into my favourites book list. Somewhere near the end of her book she loses steam. The writing doesn't hold your attention as before. The intensity wanes. There are a few other points I can't remember as I read this book last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment