Friday, May 24, 2013

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Set in Baltimore about 2 families (one American, the other Iranian) who adopt Korean babies: Jin-ho and Susan. The families meet at the airport and become friends.
It talks about routine life, about the character's interactions with each other, a lot about family and it's importance. A certain debate on Americanisms and Iran-isms  One of the things that struck me was the similarity between Iran and India, seems to me all Asian cultures put a lot of emphasis first on family then food. Both our women produce such a variety of labour intensive dishes for each meal. Worries me that I might have to spend as much time in the kitchen later in life.
Anyhoo, light and easy read.

I read A Patchwork planet by Anne Tyler as well but it's not as good as the above mentioned one.

No comments:

Post a Comment