Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Musings on my name

A name largely becomes part of your identity. I'm 'fraid this statement is true, otherwise my name would have been changed long ago to Tanvi. My name is persistently misspelled, now when I was a nubile young girl of 12 I would fume in rage when instead of Shubhra I would find my name on sheet as Chou-brah or Shubala, are they even remotely close? But after some time of relentless mistakes I didn't mind the mistake but as soon I was called in class I would spell out my name at top speed.

Living in India this sort of problem would never arise, that is comforting but I don't live in India and have never lived in India so in a hypothetical situation I would be happy with my name.

The other side of having such a unique name is that people can't say it properly, anybody who starts calling me with Shu-some-ending, I accept that as being my name. It might seem childish but try living with a very changeable name, not to mention most of the time people simply don't remember it. Very insulting if you repeatedly forget someone's name, really, but people defened themselves by spouting out word to word the conversation we had when we met. Grrrr I have to forgive them and blame my name instead. Over years I have developed helpful tips to remember my name, like call me Shubhi or Snow-white because Shubhra means holy white.

And as the biggest sign of my maturing I don't mind the way people twist my good name.
Oh my god I'm growing old

3 comments:

  1. Whatsup fellow oldie? Well, the nuisance of name being misspelled that you encountered abroad, was encountered by me in India. You know how people called me Bansal, Maksad, Bhaksad,etc.
    I mean the names they called me had letters which aren't even remotely a part of my name.
    Though now I don't really mind it being called something else but i make it a point to correct the person.
    For instance, the phonology teacher of my school, very well versed with English always called me Bansal. I always corrected him but such attempts would always prove to be futile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shubh Ratri means Good Night

    Nahi Nahi-- Mai Shubhra three nahi hoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh la la la Raju mama is commenting on my blog, it's incredible, plz keep commenting and I love you to bits and pieces

    @Vatsal: they call you Maksad!! Hahahahahahahaahahah Rofl!!, and Bhaksad, and bansal is almost close....this was really funny

    ReplyDelete